Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Time for me....



I'm starting to feel really good about how I'm using my time here in Yuma. Due to several contributing factors, like a big dog with a small backyard, the Yuma heat, and the fact that we don't have cable, both Rob and I have started taking turns taking Libby for evening runs. Personally, not one to run much, I started off by taking long walks in the evenings after the boys were down for the night. But suprisingly (maybe it's the new shoes) I've been running for longer stints lately. I probably make it out at least twice a week and it's such a good feeling - the fresh air, the lack of a bulky jogging stroller, the time alone and the fact that I'm improving my health - all a plus in my book.



And, with Trent in school 5 mornings a week, I've chosen to return to doing Casework volunteering for the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society. I volunteered over 300 hours while we were stationed at Cherry Point and really enjoyed the work that I did. While in Beaufort, it wasn't as feasible with a newborn, but I'm happy that I can now return to the charity work I enjoyed so much before. As for now, I plan to volunteer 2 mornings a week while Trent's at school and Drew is with a sitter. Once the Child Development Center on base re-opens their drop in care (currently closed), I'll probably put Drew there so that he's engaged with some other kids his age.


It's nice for me to have somethings that are just for me. I've always found groups and activites that I enjoy and now that we're somewhere new, I get to re-evaluate the things I've done and start over. I've added some new things to my plate as well as some things that I haven't done for a while and I'm putting others on the back burner for now. It's been fun to spice things up a bit :).

3 comments:

Dana said...

Yahoo for you!! :) Great news to hear. I miss my fresh air too... maybe I need a dog to get me out? :)

YumaMom said...

Hi Dana!

So far, Yuma has been good to us. How's life? work? D.C.? Did you hear that Mandalyn had her baby a couple of weeks ago? She was one month premature, but is home now. They have a blog, but it's private. I'm not sure how to share it with you.

Sara Eaton said...

Isn't great when you can get "Me time"!! We are hoping we get to see you guys more often too. Hope to see you soon

Hugs,
Sara